Affiliated Prof
  • People
  • Affiliated Prof

Affiliated Prof

fd

Kwon, Oh Hoon Telephone : 052-217-5424

Assistant Professor at UNIST

2013. 5 -

At UNIST, my first goal is to build a powerful and robust ultrafast electron microscope. With atomic spatial and temporal resolutions, the new microscope will be capable of imaging reversible and irreversible phenomena in chemical, macromolecular, and materials systems, undergoing structural changes in femtoseconds to microseconds, the timescale of which has not been accessible using conventional transmission electron microscopes.​

The other parallel direction of my research is femtochemistry and femtobiology, which have been pioneered by Dr. Ahmed H. Zewail at Caltech, who has won the Nobel prize in chemistry in 1999. Utilizing well-established time-resolved optical spectroscopic methods, I am going to explore fundamental dynamics of chemical and biophysical reactions on the key timescale of femto-to-picoseconds.

Senior Scientist/Postdoctoral Scholar at Caltech

2005.10 - 2013. 5

Under the supervision of Dr. Zewail, a Nobel laureate in chemistry, I have built a femtochemistry laboratory (036) in "Femtoland" at Caltech in 2006. Combining a femtosecond-resolved fluorescence upconversion spectrometer and a picosecond-resolved time-correlated single-photon counting spectrometer, I have studied elementary chemical reaction dynamics, ultrafast photo-mutagenesis of a model DNA base pair, and ultrafast hydration dynamics of proteins. Since 2006, I have joined a team to develop the 2nd-generation UEM (UEM-2) and reported its powerful applications in various fields of science.

Advisor: Prof. Ahmed H. Zewail

Postdoctoral Scholar at Seoul National University
    2004.9-2005.9

Taking advantage of the picosecond time resolution of a streak camera, I have investigated activation-controlled chemical reaction dynamics in solutions. The knowledge attained in neat systems have served for unveiling reaction mechanisms in a series of heterogeneous nano-media, such as micelles, cyclodextrins, and zeolites. The fundamental studies have been extended for understanding mechanisms of light-emitting devices and lead to develop organic light-emitting/laser materials.

Advisor: Prof. Du-Jeon Jang

목록

Sitemap

레이어 내용